How often do you find yourself saying “yes” to a person or mediocre offer when you really want to say “no”?
How often do you fear being disliked for saying “no”?
How often do you allow yourself to be talked into time consuming obligations and plans that you really have no desire to be apart of?
We’ve all been there at one point or another in our lives. We understand the fear of conflict, disappointing others, or being disliked. However, have you thought about the disservice you’re doing to yourself? Saying “no” is where your power lies, even when you’re afraid. A large component of saying “no” is having the courage to set boundaries. Setting boundaries are important to draw in relationships, interactions, and in life. Brene Brown gives us a brilliant perspective stating “Daring to set boundaries is about having the courage to love ourselves, even when we risk disappointing others. We can’t base our own worthiness on others’ approval”.
We’ve gathered our top 10 favorite quotes on saying “no”. Reflect on them the next time you find yourself hesitant to use the magic word.
- “No is golden”- Cheryl Strand
- “‘No’ is a complete sentence. It does not require justification or explanation.” -Anonymous
- “Saying no can be the ultimate self-care”-Claudia Black
- “Anybody who gets upset or expects you to say yes all of the time clearly doesn’t have your best interest at heart”.-Stephanie lahart
- “Don’t say maybe if you want to say no”-Ryan Holiday
- “When you say yes to others, make sure you are not saying no to yourself”.-Paulo Coelho
- “You can be a good person with a kind heart and still say no”-Lori Deschene
- “The difference between successful people and really successful people is that really successful people say no to almost everything.” Warren Buffett
- “We need to learn the slow ‘yes’ and the quick ‘no.’”-Tom Friel
- “Focusing is about saying no.”-Steve Jobs
Hoo-Kong | Thoughts